[Gluster-users] double traffic usage since upgrade?

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Sat Aug 15 14:00:35 UTC 2009

Possibly relevant here -

At work, we have used a tool which does something similar to booster to
accelerate an extremely slow remote file system. It works the same way
with LD_PRELOAD, however, it also requires GLIBC to be compiled with
--disable-hidden-plt. Reviewing the Internet for similar solutions, will
find PlasticFS which also has the same requirement.

Recent versions of GLIBC call open() internally without following the
regular the regular PLT name resolution model. This increases
performance as the PLT indirect lookup model has an expense associated.
For example, GLIBC fopen() calls open() directly rather than going
through the PLT. So, overriding open() does not intercept calls to fopen()?

Is this something the booster developers are aware of? Have they found a
way around this, or is it possible that booster is only boosting *some*
types of access, and other types of access are still "falling through"
to FUSE?

I've asked the developer who wrote out library what he thought of
glusterfs/booster not requiring GLIBC with --disable-hidden-plt, and he
thinks glusterfs/booster cannot be working (or cannot be intercepting
all calls and some calls are leaking through to FUSE). Comments?

If some calls were leaking through, this might have the "double traffic"
effect, since FUSE would have its own cache separate from booster?

Cheers,
mark

Mark Mielke<mark at mielke.cc>