[Gluster-users] connection requirements

randall randall at songshu.org
Tue Apr 21 15:34:13 UTC 2009

Sean Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM, randall <randall at songshu.org
> <mailto:randall at songshu.org>> wrote:
>
>     dear all,
>
>     second post ;)
>
>     another question here, also in most examples i noticed the
>     infiniband or 10 GigE recommendation, does this really do any good
>     for the individual server connection?
>     another assumption on my side was that 1 individual server can
>     never saturate a full gigabit link due to the disk throughput
>     limitation, (maybe a few 100 MBps at most)
>

>     so if every server has a 1 Gigabit connection to a switch which in
>     turn has a 10 GigE uplink it would not be a bottleneck (as long as
>     there are not too many servers sharing the 10 GigE uplink)
>
>     correct?
>

> If one server has multiple disks (or RAIDS) and each is being read
> simultaneously, it is certainly possible to saturate a single GigE
> connection under some conditions.
>
> Sean

thnx,

that confirms my suspicion then, meaning it would be overkill to use
more then a gigabit link considering i never use the kind of hardware
that would be able to match these numbers,

you're right, i should have been more precise about what was assumed.

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts