[Gluster-users] glusterfs performance

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Thu Sep 18 21:50:38 UTC 2008

At 12:04 PM 9/18/2008, Graeme wrote:
>Hi all,
>Is this expected performance with gluster for a small number of nodes on
>TCP/IP? Or am I missing some critical piece of configuration? In
>particular, I thought that in an AFR config the client was supposed to
>automatically stripe read requests across available volumes, but the
>read performance doesn't seem to indicate that's happening, considering
>the requests it sends to itself should be able to get close to its
>normal ~70MB/sec rate.

this isn't exactly true.   for large files, you should get close to
local speed, provided you specify a local read volume in your AFR config.
However, there's overhead on every file access--gluster has to check
the other AFR servers to make sure it has the latest version, then it
can read from the local volume.  so for small files this overhead
becomes significant but for huge files it should be minimal.

>Any tips would be appreciated.  :)

my network bandwidth between 2 AFR'ed servers is about 50% less with
1.4 than it was with 1.3, also response time seems to be about 20% faster.

so I'd look to build 1.4 and see if that improves the situation