[Gluster-users] performance problem with large directory

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Sun Sep 7 23:11:58 UTC 2008

I have an application which stores old copies of files whenever new
ones are uploaded.

it does this by checking if file_exists in the archive folder
this has roughly 30000 items in it.

I've got an AFR configuration.

so, when someone uploads 10 files, it checks for the file existing,
which does a directory scan which causes afr to check the other
server, however this takes a reallllly long time.
and it does this for each file, which is a problem.

which performance translator would help the most with this.

the AFR configuration uses local read-volume.

will any performance translators help given it's an AFR config?  I
understand afr wants to maintain the directory integrity, but it's
kind of irritating.

the directory filesize is 2.2 mb so I'm not sure if it's actually
moving this volume of data constantly or not, but it's painfully slow
and things seem to timeout constantly.

any thoughts are appreciated.

Keith