[Gluster-users] performance translators

Basavanagowda Kanur gowda at zresearch.com
Thu Oct 23 03:19:19 UTC 2008

Wilkins,
   I have added relevant performance translator inline. please go through
translator options document and change translator parameters according to
your needs.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM, <m.c.wilkins at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I only heard about GlusterFS last week, so am still a newbie.  I have
> a question regarding using performance translators, in particular in a
> NUFA setup.
>
> A quick summary of my setup.  I have two machines (a third is to be
> added): k9 has two bricks (16T and 2T), orac has one brick of 5T.  I
> have used AFR for the namespace.  My config is below.
>
> Everything seems to be working OK, but I would like to add in some
> performance translators and I'm not exactly sure where.  There are
> five: read ahead, write behind, threaded IO, IO-cache, and booster.
> Which go where?  On server or client?  On each individual brick, or
> after the unify or afr?  I have read the doco, that is why I've
> managed to get this far, I can see how I can stick in one or two
> translators, but not if I should have all of them and where they
> should all go.  For instance I see IO-cache should go on the client
> side, but should it be on each brick, or on the unify or what?
>
> I know this is quite a big ask, but if someone could have a read
> through my config and perhaps show where I should stick in all the
> translators that would be great.
>
> Thank you muchly!
>
> Matt
>
> This is the config on k9 (the one on orac is very similar, I won't
> bother showing it here):
>
> volume brick0
>  type storage/posix
>  option directory /export/brick0
> end-volume

volume iot-0
type performance/io-threads
subvolume brick0
end-volume

> volume brick1
>  type storage/posix
>  option directory /export/brick1
> end-volume

volume iot-1
type performance/io-threads
subvolume brick1
end-volume

> volume brick-ns
>  type storage/posix
>  option directory /export/brick-ns
> end-volume

volume iot-ns
type performance/io-threads
subvolume brick-ns
end-volume

> volume server
>  type protocol/server
>  subvolumes brick0 brick1 brick-ns
>  option transport-type tcp/server
>  #option auth.ip.brick0.allow 127.0.0.1,130.123.129.121,130.123.128.35,
> 130.123.128.28    # this is what i want, but it doesn't seem to work
>  option auth.ip.brick0.allow *
>  option auth.ip.brick1.allow *
>  option auth.ip.brick-ns.allow *

     option auth.ip.iot-0.allow *
     option auth.ip.iot-1.allow *
     option auth.ip.iot-ns.allow *

> end-volume
>
> volume client-orac-0
>  type protocol/client
>  option transport-type tcp/client
>  option remote-host orac
>  option remote-subvolume iot-0
> end-volume
>
> volume client-orac-ns
>  type protocol/client
>  option transport-type tcp/client
>  option remote-host orac
>  option remote-subvolume iot-ns
> end-volume
>
> volume afr-ns
>  type cluster/afr
>  subvolumes iot-ns client-orac-ns
> end-volume
>
> volume unify
>  type cluster/unify
>  option namespace afr-ns
>  option scheduler nufa
>  option nufa.local-volume-name iot-0,iot-1
>  option nufa.limits.min-free-disk 5%
>  subvolumes iot-0 iot-1 client-orac-0
> end-volume

volume ra
type performance/read-ahead
subvolume unify
end-volume

volume ioc
type performance/io-cache
subvolume ra
end-volume

hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now