[Gluster-users] Few issues with AFR resync

Deian Chepishev dchepishev at nexbrod.com
Tue Jun 17 12:17:16 UTC 2008

Hello guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but the mailing list archives
are not available and I could not check there first.

I have few strange issues with AFR and one config question.

Here they are ;) :

I have the following setup:
6 servers and 3 clients.
For the test I use only 2 servers in AFR and 1 client
All the software is running under VMWARE virtual machines
Centos 5.1
Kernel: 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5
GFS: glusterfs-1.3.9-1
FUSE: fuse-2.7.3glfs10-1
I export one single partition with XFS filesystem

Here are the config files:
Server config:
volume brick
 type storage/posix
 option directory /data/export
end-volume

volume server
 type protocol/server
 option transport-type tcp/server
 option auth.ip.brick.allow *
 subvolumes brick
end-volume
Client Config:
volume brick1
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host 10.100.1.1
 option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume brick2
 type protocol/client
 option transport-type tcp/client
 option remote-host 10.100.1.2
 option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume afr1
 type cluster/afr
 subvolumes brick1 brick2
end-volume

I mount the volume with the following command:
glusterfs -f /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol /mnt/glusterfs

The problems I am facing are the following
Problem 1

a) I start both servers and mount on one client
b) I create some files and dirs on the mount point
c) killall glusterfs on server1
d) create some new dirs and files
e) start glusterfs again on server1

At this point it just does not want to replicate. I tried unmount/mount
the underlaying filesystem or even recreating it but no luck, it just
dont want to replicate. The things get better if I reboot server1
machine. After the reboot replication start to work and replicates the
files.
However another problem pops up.

Problem 1A:

All the synced files/dirs have creation time Jan  1  1970 and I dont see
a way to fix this.
If I create new file on the client the date is fine, however if I start
from clean partition all the synced files have date Jan 1 1970

The time on the servers and clients is in sync with ntpd.

Problem 2

    a) I create some files/dirs while both servers are up
    b) killall glusterfs on server1
    c) mkdir -p /mnt/glusterfs/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 - on the client
    d) cd /mnt/glusterfs/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 - on the client
    e) start glusgerfs on server1 - glusterfs -f
/etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-server.vol
    f)  on the client I do - touch some files here and there
       and I get this error:
[root at r3cl1 8]# touch some files here and there
touch: cannot touch `some': No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch `files': No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch `here': No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch `and': No such file or directory
touch: cannot touch `there': No such file or directory

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards,
Deian