[Gluster-users] TCP/IP Settings

mtaggart at envoydirect.com mtaggart at envoydirect.com
Sun Jun 1 07:38:20 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,
I am currently converting my AoE/GFS setup over to GlusterFS. So far I have been very impressed with Gluster and am loving it's ease of use. I wrestled with GFS for days, and still do too much IMO. ;)

I had a question about TCP/IP settings. I know Infiniband as interconnects would give us the best performance, but we currently do not have the budget to upgrade everything, so I am going to use a dedicated Gig switch along with a dedicated nic on each machine to access the Gluster cluster. With AoE, we were using jumbo frames on the switch and had each machine's MTU setting at 9000. I think by default most network cards put the MTU at 1500 or so.

With GlusterFS is it more advantageous to use a higher MTU setting and/or jumbo frames? For some background we are using Gluster in a webserver environment and I would say the majority of use on the file system is reads and writes of smaller files < 100K. I am not sure if this makes a difference as far as the settings though.

Thanks,
Mike