[Gluster-users] Updating gluster configuration

Matt Lawrence matt.lawrence at tamu.edu
Sat Dec 27 22:31:35 UTC 2008

I have maintenance windows on Wednesday & Thursday to make changes to
the throughput cluster here and I could use some advice.

There are 130 system, 126 of them are compute nodes, connected via Gb
ethernet with the head node and fileserver node connected via 10Gb
ethernet.  At the moment, my configuration from last summer, which was
done in a hurry, is running really, really slow.

My hope is to upgrade to 1.4.0, but I'll settle for a release candidate
if I have to.  Here is the rough plan for how I'm going to configure it.

Server:
XFS filesystem -->> io-thread -->> tcp

Client:
brick -->> readahead -->> writebehind

Should I be considering readahead/writebehind on the server end?
How about threads on the client?
Any other translators I should consider?

I'm hoping to spend much of Thursday doing performance testing.  What
benchmarks do y'all recommend?  I was planning on trying iozone, but
could easily be convinced to go with something else.  The plan is to
script it to run automatically with a number of different settings for
readahead & writebehind.  Any particular words of wisdom?

Thanks for the help!

-- Matt