[Gluster-users] 1.4.0RC6 AFR problems

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Wed Dec 24 23:21:45 UTC 2008

At 02:45 PM 12/24/2008, Stas Oskin wrote:
>Hi Keith.
>
>Sorry for the previous email, it was a bit not in-place.
>
>Would you mind sharing how you recovered from this issue?

I think Amar's responses to my email will be helpful.
Especially given that some of my issues were bugs that are fixed or
being fixed, my particular method of recovery wouldn't necessarily apply

>I'm going to stress test a solution based on GlusterFS next week,
>including pulling live disk offline in middle of work, and would
>appreciate any hints you might share regarding recovering from the failures.

I think with the fixed bugs, it should be as easy as I expected.
once you have an empty underlying filesystem (with no gluster
extended attributes), AFR should auto-heal the entire directory
without a problem.
it tried to do this but hit a bug, which was overcome by setting the
option favorite-child in the AFR translator.
this isn't necessarily an ideal production run-time configuration,
but it's reasonable to set this to recover from a drive failure and
then unset it after the recovery is complete.

as for specifics of forcing auto-heal:
I used the find command from the wiki:
find /GLUSTERMOUNTPOINT -type f -exec head -1 {} \; > /dev/null

it can be interesting if you tail -f the gluster logfile in another
window while this goes on.

I've found the script "whodir" posted a while go to be helpful to
when I'm having troubles re-mounting the filesystem when gluster crashes.

--whodir--
#!/bin/sh
DIR=$1
find /proc 2>/dev/null | grep -E 'cwd|exe' | xargs ls -l 2>/dev/null
| grep "> $DIR" | sed 's/  */ /g' | cut -f8 -d' ' | cut -f3 -d/ |
sort | uniq | while read line; do echo $line $(cat /proc/$line/cmdline); done