[Gluster-users] Feedback and Questions on afr+unify

Krishna Srinivas krishna at zresearch.com
Thu Dec 18 14:01:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Krishna Srinivas wrote:
>>>
>>>  - This one is very minor. It wasn't explicitly clear from the docs that
>>> use unify one needed (a) locking and (b) the namespace.  The place this
>>> is
>>> mentioned is in "Understanding unify translator" which isn't the first
>>> place
>>> a user would look.  Would be nice if this were mentioned somewhere.
>>
>> Unify needs namespace, what do you mean by "locking" here?
>
> The fact that I need to turn the posix-locks feature on.
>
> volume brick1
>  type features/posix-locks
>  option mandatory on          # enables mandatory locking on all files
>  subvolumes posix1
> end-volume
>
> Without it I was running into problems.
>
>>>  - There are a lot of options to choose from and without Anands initial
>>> help
>>> in person I would be lost trying to choose a scheduler.  It would be
>>> great
>>> if there were some recommended solutions.  I understand the software is
>>> rapidly growing but this would make life easier for new adopters.
>>
>> True. We will give "cookbook" recommended setups in our documentation.
>
> That would be great!
>
>>> 2008-12-18 00:25:40 E [addr.c:117:gf_auth] auth/addr: client is bound to
>>> port 59327 which is not privilaged
>>> 2008-12-18 00:25:40 E [authenticate.c:193:gf_authenticate] auth: no
>>> authentication module is interested in accepting remote-client
>>> 10.24.1.4:59327
>>> 2008-12-18 00:25:40 E [server-protocol.c:6842:mop_setvolume] server:
>>> Cannot
>>> authenticate client from 10.24.1.4:59327
>>>
>>>  I worked around this problem by exposing the machine as a DMZ host from
>>> the
>>> router but this is not ideal.  Is there something I can do to fix this?
>>

>> http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_Translators_v1.3#Authenticate_modules
>>
>> You can use "login" based authentication to get around this problem.
>
> Thanks, yes, that would work but for some reason I feel a username/password
> is weaker than restricting it to an IP.
>
>>>  - What would happen if I change the scheduler to something else? Would
>>> that
>>> hose the data?  I haven't moved all my data yet so I can experiment
>>> currently.  I am not likely to tinker with the setup later on though
>>> since
>>> this will contain important data.
>>
>> Changing schedulers will not cause any problem.
>
> Interesting, so any existing data on the disks will not be affected? How
> does that work?  Does this mean I can fill the disks a-priori before
> unifying them?

Unify checks with all the subvols on where it is before opening.
Yes you can have pre-filled data before unifying them.

>>>  - What would happen if I added another brick, say another disk to the
>>> existing set on one of the machines?  Would it break the round-robin
>>> scheduler that I am using?  I see from the FAQ that this should work with
>>> the alu but will it work with rr?
>>
>> ALU will be useful when you add servers later. i.e it will see free
>> diskspace and schedule creation of new files there. RR will just
>> round-robin.
>>
>> You can experiement with the new "DHT" translator in place of unify.
>
> OK, I can do that, I see dht does not need the extra namespace disk, so I
> guess I can clear out that directory.

Note that DHT is a separate cluster xlator and not scheduler.

>> You can go with a more standard setup of
>> unify->afr->client instead of afr->unify->client
>
> Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by the above, the arrow directions aren't
> completely clear to me.  My understanding of the setup currently is that I
> have unify->afr->client (I unify 4 partitions on one machine, afr them
> across machines and then mount that as a client) which is what you have
> mentioned too above.  I am confused now that you mention that I have
> afr->unify->client instead.

I was using a different point of view :) (it did not match your setup
exactly though)

You are using AFR over unify, The problem is when one of the servers
on unify goes down AFR will see missing files and recreate them, so
when the downed server comes back up unify will see those files on two
subvols.

>> When you have afr over unify and one of unify subvol goes down, afr's
>> selfheal will create missing files which you don't want to happen.
>
> OK, so you are saying I need to simply switch to using dht, remove the
> namespace directory and continue with the setup and this problem will not
> occur?

No, DHT is not related to this.