[Gluster-users] Gluster crashes when cascading AFR

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Mon Dec 15 16:57:15 UTC 2008

Fwd'ing to list. Rainer, do try our 1.4.0rc3 release for trying out io-cache.

> Basically we have a farm of 2000 machines which are running a certain
> application that, during start up, reads about 300 MB of data (out of a
> 6 GB repository) of program libraries, geometry data etc and this 8
> times per node. Once per core on every machine. The data is not modified
> by the program so it can be regarded as read only. When the application
> is launched it is launched on all nodes simultaneously and especially
> now during debugging this is done very often (within minutes).

You could use io-cache to help improve this situation. io-cache uses a
weighted LRU for cache replacement where weights can be assigned based
on filename/wild card pattern. This way you can 'force' this
particular HOT 300MB to be always served off memory. The other option
is, as already discussed in this thread, to replicate (which comes
with write performance hit).

avati