[Gluster-users] VMDK file replication issue

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Tue Aug 26 05:02:47 UTC 2008

At 09:11 PM 8/25/2008, Raghavendra G wrote:
>Hi Marco,
>
>comments are inlined.
>
>On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Marco Trevisan
><<mailto:marco.trevisan at cardinis.com>marco.trevisan at cardinis.com> wrote:
>The backend filesystem is XFS. The command used to create it was
>"mkfs.xfs" without any option.
>I later (Aug. 5th) changed the mount options in /etc/fstab from
>"defaults" to "noatime,attr2".
>
>My problems started to happen on Aug. 6-7, so one of my suspictions
>is that having set "noatime,attr2" on already existing data (used by
>glusterfs) may have led to errors on the AFR side.
>

>I think  you are right here.  Since AFR depends on extended
>attributes for file/directory synchronization, there is a
>possibility of data corruption.

as I understand it switching from attr1 to attr2 isn't as easy as
just specifying it on the mount point.
you should make your filesystem with attr=2 otherwise the behavior
may not be what you expect.

you can possibly re-add the extended attributes and things will
continue merrily along, but there's some debate apparently over
whether or not adding the attributes to a live file system works as expected.

I want a vacation :(

Keith