[Gluster-users] help, chmod g+s FOLDER doesn't make sense under glusterfs

Dai, Manhong daimh at umich.edu
Tue Aug 26 03:01:02 UTC 2008

Hi Raghavendra,

	I appreciate your quick reply.

	I would hope that glusterfs can set the file's group id to the mode of the
parent directory(if it has a set group id). This feature is very useful for group sharing. Let me show an example here.

[citiceo at bass1 tmp]$ id
uid=10000(citiceo) gid=1000(citi) groups=1000(citi),1002(allbankusers)
[citiceo at bass1 tmp]$ ll -d a
drwxrws--- 2 root allbankusers 4096 Aug 25 22:41 a
[citiceo at bass1 tmp]$ echo abc > a/b
[citiceo at bass1 tmp]$ ll a/b
-rw-r----- 1 citiceo allbankusers 4 Aug 25 22:41 a/b

[chaseceo at bass1 tmp]$ id
uid=10001(chaseceo) gid=1003(chase) groups=1002(allbankusers),1003(chase)
[chaseceo at bass1 tmp]$ cat a/b
abc

	This examples shows how citiceo share a file to chaseceo under ext3 filesystem. If glusterfs is used, citiceo has to run an additional command chgrp to change the file's group ownership.

	chgrp is not a hassle for any cluster administrator. But for regular users, it is a big problem. Moreover, glusterfs is a great filesystem, with which one can create a huge size file system for a cluster that has complicated users and groups mapping. Group sharing is an important feature for such a system, so cluster administrators don't need to train their users.

Best,
Manhong