[Gluster-users] HA strategy

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:51:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Krishna Srinivas
<krishna at zresearch.com> wrote:
>>>  My question is: Should I run 2 gluster servers, and several gluster
>>>clients,
>
> Yes that would work nicely.
>
>> or could I make each machine a gluster server, and sync using
>>>AFR?
>
> Running server on every client will mean that
> you will have as many copies as the number of clients.
>
> Krishna

Keith, Krishna - thanks for your answers.  I think I've worked it out,
and wonder if you can confirm my understanding of gluster:

Gluster uses servers and clients.  A client can access a gluster
resource without requiring the use of any local disk space -
effectively mounting the remote server locally.  A gluster server
actually holds the files.  You can have any number of servers and or
clients.  To achieve ultimate read performance, and where disk space
isn't a constraint, you could run gluster server on every machine, and
configure it to read locally.  This would mean that for 1GB of data,
you'd need 1GB of storage available on every single machine.

Is this right, or have I misunderstood?

Thanks,

Rob