[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-devel] Update on georep failure

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 13:28:03 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 09:19:23PM +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le mardi 02 février 2021 à 21:06 +0200, Yaniv Kaul a écrit :
> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:14 PM Michael Scherer <mscherer at redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > so we finally found the cause of the georep failure, after several
> > > days
> > > of work from Deepshika and I.
> > >
> > > Short story:
> > > ============
> > >
> > > side effect of adding libtirpc-devel on EL 7:
> > > https://github.com/gluster/project-infrastructure/issues/115
> >

> > Looking at
> > https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-patch-acceptance-tests/pull/191
> > - we
> > weren't supposed to use it?
> > From
> > https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/d1d7a6f35c816822fab51c820e25023863c239c1/glusterfs.spec.in#L61
> > :
> > # Do not use libtirpc on EL6, it does not have xdr_uint64_t() and
> > xdr_uint32_t
> > # Do not use libtirpc on EL7, it does not have xdr_sizeof()
> > %if ( 0%{?rhel} && 0%{?rhel} <= 7 )
> > %global _without_libtirpc --without-libtirpc
> > %endif
> >

> > CentOS 7 has an ancient version, CentOS 8 has a newer version, so
> > perhaps
> > just one CentOS 8 slaves?
>
> Fine for me for C8, but if libtirpc on EL7 is missing a function (or
> more), how come the code compile without trouble, and fail at run time
> in a rather non obvious way ?

>From what I remember of the rpc functions, is that glibc provides an
implementation too. Symbols might get partially from libtirpc and the
missing symbols from glibc. Mixing these will not work, as the internal
status/structures are different. Memory corruption and possibly
segfaults would most likely be the result.

If there is something linking against libtirpc, the library will (just
like glibc) be in memory, and symbols might get picked up from the wrong
library causing issues.

HTH,
Niels