[Gluster-infra] On the topic of building packages and adding new members

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 02:27:45 UTC 2019

I am posting this first to the infra list because we will need to have
input on how we are placed to gain benefit from maximum possible
automation and implementation of any gaps.

For the longest period of time Kaleb has been running the scripts and
doing the maintainer work (including keeping SPEC files and such in
sync) towards making packages available for Gluster. He ensures that
we get to have packages in the Fedora and CentOS (SIG) repositories,
Ubuntu, Debian and Suse package distribution channels as well off
download.gluster.org

Recently, Kaleb has urged us to find ways to lessen his work and add
new members to this task. To this end, he intends to make available
through the gluster.org assets, the scripts and know-how/documentation
to make such builds.

What I'd want to kick off is the assessment of how much of this is
scripted/automated and requires a human to watch for and take
corrective action on failures. Also, how can we use available project
assets eg. machine instances, if required, to generate the packages as
before. I am not so sure as to whether we have enough knowledge to
build Debian packages (packages for Ubuntu and Suse are built using
the project's own build systems)

We'd really like to have another individual shadowing Kaleb for the
upcoming 6.1 release cycle.