[Gluster-infra] Reducing the number of builders in the cage

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 13:12:46 UTC 2018

Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 à 14:54 +0200, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 à 17:36 +0530, Nigel Babu a écrit :
> > I think it might we worth pulling out some utilization numbers to
> > see
> > how
> > many to pull.
>
> So, I think the first step would be to clean the list of jobs and
> labels. For example, this one didn't run since 7 months, should we
> keep
> it ?
>
> https://build.gluster.org/label/glusto/
>
> The same go for this one:
> https://build.gluster.org/label/master/
>
> I am looking at the jobs, and I think the only 2 group of projects
> that
> we should look at are:
> https://build.gluster.org/label/rpm7/

So, a rough estimate is 50 build per jobs ( we have 24 today after 12h,
so I will just multiply by 2), with 15 minutes per jobs. There is 4
jobs for that group, so for today, we would have used 50h of cpu time.
That's roughly 2 builders, so let's make that 3 or 4.

We currently have 39 there, so that's around 90% unused.

> https://build.gluster.org/label/smoke7/

So removing the jobs that run less than 2 times per day, the only jobs
that I looked are smoke and gd2-smoke.

I will again count 15 minutes per jobs to simplify the stats.

We have also 24 jobs for gd2 and smoke. So 50 jobs per day, so 100
smokes job. So we would need 25h of cpu time, aka 1 builder. Let's us
use 2 to cope with the load, or even 3 for redundancy.

So we would need a total of 7 VMs, and we would still be chunking
things as fast as now. Make it 10 and we could cope with twice as much
load of patches.

So I suggest to shutdown 75% of the builders with the label
smoke7/rpm7.