[Gluster-infra] Gerrit and postgresql replica

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Sat Jun 30 13:14:49 UTC 2018

Hello,

I think the various pieces around infra have stabilized enough for us to
think about this. I suggest that we think about having a Gerrit replica in
the cloud (whichever clouds the CI consumes). This gives us a fall back
option in case the cage has problems. It also gives us a good way to reduce
the CI related load on the main Gerrit server. In the near future, when we
run distributed testing, we're going to clone 10x as much as we do now.
Right now we clone over git to take the load away from Gerrit, but when we
have a replica, I vote we clone over HTTP(s).

I would also recommend an offsite PostgreSQL replica that will let us be
somewhat fault tolerant. In the event that cage has a multi-hour
unexplained outage, we'd be able to bring back essential services.

This is suggestion. We'll need to estimate the cost of work involved + cost
of operating both these hot standbys.

--
nigelb