[Gluster-infra] [gluster-infra] The black art of mailing lists?

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 14:14:00 UTC 2017

Le lundi 13 février 2017 à 14:36 +0100, Michael Scherer a écrit :

> - fix mailman to be smarter regarding bounces. While 5 rejection is
> indeed sign something is wrong, lots of regular email have been sent in
> the mean time, so maybe there is something to do here. Maybe we were
> just unlucky.

So, the option to fix is on
http://lists.gluster.org/mailman/admin/gluster-users/bounce

we can select how many bounces, for how long, etc.

Given we have between 200 to 400 messages per month (from a sampling of
the last months), I raised the limit to 20 bounces for a week to disable
a subscription.

Someone having a mail issue resulting into a bounce for around 2 to 3
days would get unsubscribed, according to my estimation. That's usually
enough time to fix things, and so unless a lot of people with broken
DMARC policy post, this should prevent the issue in the future.

(I think it would also be useful to get some kind of monitoring but that
requires a lot more work and time than this)