[Gluster-infra] Zuul?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Sep 4 17:43:04 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 12:12:00PM -0400, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> > We already only merge after NetBSD-regression and CentOS-regression have
> > voted
> > back. All I'm changing is that you don't need to do the merge manually or do
> > Verified +1 for regression to run.. Zuul will run the tests after you get
> > Code-Review +2 and merge it for you with patches ordered correctly.
>
> The problem is that some reviewers (including myself) might not even look at
> a patch until it already has CentOS+1 and NetBSD+1.  Reviewing code, having
> it fail regressions, reviewing a substantially new version, having *that*
> fail regressions, etc. tends to be very frustrating for both authors and
> reviewers.  Fighting with the regression tests *prior* to review can still
> be very frustrating for authors, but at least it doesn't frustrate reviewers
> as much and doesn't contribute to author/reviewer animosity (apparently a
> real problem in this group) as much.

This is the main problem I see with this proposal too. There are quite
regular patches posted that break things in related regression tests.
Those corner cases can be very difficult to spot in code review, but
automated testing catches them. It is one of the reasons I prefer to do
code reviews for changes that are known to be (mostly) correct. Other
times changes (they should!) add test-cases, and these fail with the
initial versions...

> That said, it would be nice to have *something* as a gate between +2 and
> merge - certainly a build, and at least a few basic tests (more than smoke
> does IMO).  If Zuul can help us avoid broken builds due to improper merge
> order, which seem to be the most common kind of broken builds, I'm all for
> it.

Our regression test suite allows running tests in a subdirectory, so
changes to the tests should not really be needed. In addition to the
simple smoke test, this might do:

  # ./run-tests.sh tests/basic/

Niels