[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-devel] NetBSD tests not running to completion.

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Fri Jan 8 08:38:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:45:20AM +0530, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> 1) How to set up NetBSD VMs on my laptop which is of exact version as the
> ones that are run on build systems.

Well, the easier way is to pick the VM image we run at rackspace, which
relies on Xen. If you use an hardware virtualization system, we just need
to change the kernel and use NetBSD-7.0 GENERIC one. What hypervisor
do you use?

Alternatively it is easy to make a fresh NetBSD install. The only trap
is that glusterfs backing store filesystem must be formatted in FFFv1
format to get extended attrbiute support (this is obtained by  newfs -O1).

> 2) How to prevent NetBSD machines hang when things crash (At least I used to
> see that the machines hang when fuse crashes before, not sure if this is
> still the case)? (This failure needs manual intervention at the moment on
> NetBSD regressions, if we make it report failures and pick next job that
> would be the best way forward)

It depends what we are talking about. If this is a moint point that does
not want to unmount, killing the perfused daemon (which is the bridge
between FUSE and native PUFFS) will help. The cleanup script does it.
Do you have a hang example?

> 3) We should come up with a list of known problems and how to troubleshoot
> those problems, when things are not going smooth in NetBSD. Again, we really
> need to make things automatic, this should be last resort. Our top goal
> should be to make NetBSD machines report failures and go to execute next
> job.

This is the frustrating point for me: we have complains that things go bad,
but we do not have data about chat tests caused troubles. Fixing the problem
underlying unbacked complains means we will have to gather data on our own.

First step could be to parse jenkins logs and find which test fail or hang
most often in NetBSD regression.

> 4) How can we make debugging better in NetBSD? In the worst case we can make
> all tests execute in trace/debug mode on NetBSD.
>
> I really want to appreciate the fine job you have done so far in making sure
> glusterfs is stable on NetBSD.

Thanks! I must confess the idea of having the NetBSD port demoted is a bit
depressing given the amount of work I invested in it.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org