[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-devel] NetBSD tests not running to completion.

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 06:21:51 UTC 2016

The same issue keeps coming up every few months, where all patch
acceptances comes to a grinding halt with a dependency on NetBSD
regressions. I have been re-trigerring my patches too, and they are not
completing. Not to mention the long wait queue for them to run in the
first place and then having them not complete.

I know this issue has been discussed many times before and every time we
have arrived at the conclusion that we need to have more stable tests,
or a more robust infrastructure, but there's more to it than that.
Here's listing down a few of the things I have observed:
1. Not many people are well versed with debugging the issues, that
result in failure in NetBSD regression suites, simply because not many
of us are familiar with the nuances of the platform.
2. If I am a developer interested in being a part of the gluster
community and contributing code to it, the patches I send will have
dependency on NetBSD regressions. When people who have been contributing
for years now are finding it cumbersome to have the NetBSD regressions
pass for their patches, imagine the impression and the impact on
motivation it will have on a new developer. We need to ask ourselves how
is this impacting a patch acceptance process.

We can atleast try a different approaches to tackle this problem instead
of just waiting for the test suite to stabilize or the infrastructure to
get better.
1. We can have NetBSD as a separate port, and not have patches sent to
the master branch be dependent on it's regression.
2. We can also have a nightly NetBSD regression run, instead of running
it per patch. If a particular regression test fails, the owner of the
test looks into it, and we debug the issue. One might say it's just
delaying the problem, but atleast we will not have all patches
acceptances blocked.
3. We really need to trigger regressions only on the patches that have
been reviewed and have gotten a +2. This will substantially bring down
the wait time. I remember Atin bringing this up a few months back, but
it still hasn't been implemented. Can we please have this ASAP.

Regards,
Avra