[Gluster-infra] Switching from salt to ansible ?

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 10:18:53 UTC 2016

Le mardi 05 janvier 2016 à 10:55 +0530, Kaushal M a écrit :
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Michael Scherer <mscherer at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > - having a client/server model is something that caused trouble with
> > puppet when they decided to support only 1 version of ruby (around the
> > ruby 2.0 time frame). And given the transition of python2 and 3 is
> > happening right now in Fedora, I foresee this might be the same kind of
> > issue for salt.
>
> I think this would be a problem with Ansible as well, as it depends on
> python2. I've faced some small hiccups getting ansible to manage Arch
> Linux which uses python3 by default.

Most distribution will be staying with python2 as a option to be
installed, so the burden is minimal, but yeah, same for ansible.

Fedora atomic is shipping python2 on purpose to be manageable by
ansible.

Now for salt, maybe they will do the same, but in the case of puppet,
there was a unwillingness of the ruby packager to offer 2 version, and a
strong dependencies on agent and the puppetmaster preventing any
mismatch.

> > - Fedora is using ansible, and while we can't reuse their code that
> > much, we can at least take it and adapt.
> >
> > Now, there is a few downsides:
> >
> > - it mean rewriting most of the stuff we already have
> >
> > - it mean that we depend on sshd to be running. IE, if we screwed ssh
> > config (happened in the past), we can't just use salt to fix it.
> >
> > - it also mean that we will have a ssh key to connect as root on a
> > server, and i am not that confortable with the idea (provided that we
> > use the regular method of using ansible, ie push based)
> >
> > and maybe other I didn't think of.
>
> I've sometime had Ansible modules which failed to run on the remote
> host because it lacked some python packages. This could be a problem
> for Ansible. I've not faced this with Salt yet, maybe because the
> remote hosts need to have salt installed which would pull in all
> dependencies.

Nope, same issue with salt. But that's easy to fix, just add the
required packages as needing to be installed before.