[Gluster-infra] Migrating Gerrit and Jenkins out of iWeb

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 12 17:17:28 UTC 2016

Le vendredi 12 février 2016 à 12:16 +0100, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le mercredi 10 février 2016 à 19:18 +0530, Kaushal M a écrit :

> > > I am ok.
> >
> > So as discussed in the community meeting, we will be announcing the
> > migration and downtime. Vijay, you said you required the exact
> > schedule? This is what I expect
> >
> > Friday 12th Feb 2016
> >
> > 0900 UTC : build.gluster.org and review.gluster.org are taken down and
> > migration begins.
> > <1-2 hrs?>: Michael copies over data onto the RH community infra and
> > sets up the VMs.
> > <? hrs>: The DNS records are updated, and some time is for it to propogate.
> > <3hr?>: Verify everything is working well (I can help with this). We'd
> > possibly need to run a regression job, so this will take longest I
> > think.
> >
> > 1700UTC <or earlier>: We announce the finish of the migration and open
> > the services back up. If migration failed, we bring the existing
> > servers back on, and continue on.
>
> So, for people wanting to know, the migration has started.
>
> 1) gerrit
> ----------
> gerrit seems to be ok, it has a new IP 66.187.224.201
>
> people who used to have access there need to contact me so I can
> explain/create required account on the new virt host.
>
> the old VM is shutdown for now. I will make a backup copy of the disk.
>
> 2) jenkins
> ----------
>
> so the preparation of the migration didn't worked as well, so we have to
> copy the VM when offline, and then prepare it later ( ie, import in
> libvirt, adjust network, etc). So jenkins master is offline (sorry manu
> for your tcpdump monitoring), we are making a copy of the disk that is
> gonna take between 3 and 14h (most likely < 4h, but rsync estimation is
> moving a lot), and then restart like before.

So turn out I was wrong, and the copy is taking a much longer time.
Despites me trying to investigate why, it didn't copied everything.

So the new plan is to stop the VM, make a local copy of the disk, start
the VM, and then copy that one over the new server, prepare for the new
host (firewall, public ip, etc), and sync from the old VM to the new
host.

All is ok with this plan ?