[Gluster-infra] [gluster.org_salt_states] Want to refactor jenkins.slave

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 11:09:04 UTC 2015

Hi all

Now that we have public access to the gluster-infra salt states [1], (thank
you Misc) I'd like to start contributing to it. I'd like to begin by
refactoring the `jenkins.slave`[2] state.

My aim with the refactoring is to pull out the general test environment
configuration, from the gluster infra specific configuration. The reason to
do this is mainly two fold,
1. To make it easier for developers to contribute changes to the GlusterFS
testing environment.
2. To make it easier to deploy local testing environments.

I need some questions on which I'd like feedback.
1. How do I contribute changes back? As I understand the github repos of
the salt-states and salt-pillar are just mirrors.
2. I'd like to have this test environment state separate from gluster.org
infra states, ie., outside the current salt-states tree, in a separate
repo, or within the glusterfs repo. This would help developers contribute
to it, without hurting the infra states. Would this be okay? If yes, which
repo should this be put into.

~kaushal

[1]: https://github.com/gluster/gluster.org_salt_states
[2]: