[Gluster-infra] DNS issues in Jenkins infrastructure and/or on build.gluster.org

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue May 19 08:00:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 08:11:34AM +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Raghavendra Talur (Code Review) <review at dev.gluster.org> wrote:
>
> > 1. Why is name resolution so slow in gluster(my observation, no proof), is
> > there a bug somewhere or it is just that name resolution does take long
> > time? Can we reduce it somewhere in code?
>
> I observed (with tcpdump) that rackspace's DNS sometime failed to answer
> to build.gluster.org and that was a cause for jenkins connectivity
> problems. A local DNS on build.gluster.org, used by slaves, could help.

I have seen similar issues on build.gluster.org itself. At least the
hard-reboot Jenkins job (uses Rackspace API) and nightly builds (does
not use any Rackspace DNS) fail occasionally. Instead of the correct
resolved IP-address, the IP of www.gluster.org gets returned.

I think there is a plan to decommission the current build.gluster.org
and move its services to a different server/datacenter. Hopefully DNS
will be more reliable soon.

Adding gluster-infra@ to CC so the people in charge of the new server(s)
can inform us with their plans.

Thanks,