[Gluster-infra] New servers and usage for them

Michael Scherer mscherer at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 11:06:16 UTC 2015

Le mardi 10 mars 2015 à 13:49 -0400, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY a écrit :
> On 03/05/2015 07:26 AM, Michael Scherer wrote:

> >>  From memory, these are the two servers bought for us, in place of the
> >> two which Kaleb had been trying to get racked and publicly accessible
> >> for a few months prior.  So, Kaleb's the lead guy on what these two new
> >> servers are for then I guess. :)

> > The 2nd one is big enough to replace the 2 servers that kaleb wanted to
> > rack. I have no idea why we didn't went with the servers he had in the
> > first place, but I supposed this was discussed before my involvement in
> > the first place.
> >

> It was only one server, and believe it or not, it's ready. (Well,
> almost, one of the drives in one of the equallogics is bad. I have a
> replacement coming.)
>
> Do we still want it? Personally I don't think we can have enough jenkins
> slaves, along with with getting off Rackspace, or at least under our $$$
> allotment. Is there room for it in the rack the above equipment is
> intended to go in?
>
> If you don't remember, it's a Dell R515 w/ 32G RAM, ~3TB in the PERC,
> and 16TB raw in a pair of Equallogic 6010s. (~11TB in RAID6.) Total 8U.
>
> I wanted it to run slaves on, so it needs external/public connectivity.
>
> I'm half tempted to drive it down to RDU myself and hold people's hands
> (twist their arms) to get it, and the above, installed pronto.

While I would also entertain the idea of making a road movie with you
driving from Boston to RDU in the snow to the south just to drop the 8 U
and have both of us convince people responsible for the DC to host it,
we still have no space for it AFAIK. We could have squeezed for a fewer
U, I think but 8U is too much given the current space.

My team is working to get more space there ( last ETA is May/June, but
it was April at first, and we are dependant on logistic issues from the
hoster side ). I will none the less ask again to IT/Eng-ops see if we
can do something for that server, or if stuff changed.

In the mean time, and while that's annoying we cannot find space for the
existing server you have right now, we have a "32 G of ram/lots of
CPU/reasonable amount of disk" server installed in the DC and dedicated
to be used for CI. I can get the exact hardware, but I am lazy, but I
think the specs are sufficiently similar to yours to replace as a short
term solution.

This one is waiting for being used ( as soon as I have a idea of what we
want to install on it, I will install EL6 or 7, and likely libvirt or
something ).

I did ask only for 1 single ip for now, and would like to stay this way
if we can.

So, we want jenkins slaves, like rackspace, is this ok to use a VPN or
something ?

Open Source and Standards, Sysadmin