[Gluster-infra] Revamping GlusterFS website for expanded participation

Tuomas Kuosmanen tigert at redhat.com
Mon Feb 23 12:34:07 UTC 2015

Hey Deb!

Good thoughts. I'd be happy to collaborate on this. I have been trying
to resolve the current site's issues and such, and been pondering how
the community could connect to it better. This is exactly the kind of
thinking that I agree is needed.

A few thoughts I've had:

  * For good documentation, I think we should figure out a good
    structure for various docs we need (intro / installation / in depth)
    and see that the current set is dissected and reconstructed to
    fir those needs.

    I discussed this a bit during FOSDEM with Shaun McCance and few
    others who have worked on community documentation. Shaun (hi!)
    who joined my team at Red Hat has got lot of experience with
    documentation in FOSS projects in the past, and he stressed the
    need of a docs team who have their own responsibility to look
    after the docs, and make sure they are checked for correctness
    for each software release and that old information is removed
    or corrected. So that the "docs" can be part of the software
    development process, and they can be aware of new features being
    planned etc.

    We also discussed of the possible use of Mallard (the XML-based
    documentation format used for example by GNOME and others) which
    has enough metadata and tools to make it easier to track which
    version of software each doc was updated to and when it was
    reviewed etc.

    I guess what I want to say is that good docs need dedicated care,
    but they are worth that. Shaun likely can help us on that area.

  * For facebook / twitter / meetup / eventbrite / blogging / events etc
    I think the important thing is to have a way to collect all of the
    relevant information and then then channel it to whatever tool or
    services make sense for each. The current situation is problematic
    when things are fragmented.

    Ideally it should be enough to follow Gluster on your favorite social
    service and get notifications of all relevant things happening.

There are likely a lot of additional things to ponder, but I wanted to
give a quick "yay \o/" sooner rather than later, thanks for the writeup! :-)

//Tuomas