[Gluster-infra] Retire {review,build}.gluster.com domains

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 11:22:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Michael Scherer <mscherer at redhat.com> wrote:
> Le lundi 31 août 2015 à 12:15 +0530, Kaushal M a écrit :
>> The community moved off the .com names, to the .org names long ago (I
>> think it's been over 4 years now).
>>
>> But we've still people using these two domains. People should have
>> moved onto the .org names by now, but are still using these because
>> instead of redirecting, these have A records setup to point to the
>> respective servers, so the users never get to know.
>>
>> Using the .com domains also cause problems with Github OAuth login for
>> Gerrit. The login has been setup for the .org address and it doesn't
>> work correctly with .com names.
>>
>> If retiring these domains immediately seems harsh, we could instead
>> setup redirects to the .org alternatives. Additionally, we could also
>> setup up the redirect to use https instead of http as the default url.
>>
>> Anyone have thoughts on this?
>
> +1 on making a redirection and cname. I guess we can do some stuff httpd
> side to log who is using it, maybe trying to reach the users ( and fix
> our own scripts ), then announce we are breaking stuff, then breaking
> stuff ?

If we have redirection setup using cname, we will not even hit httpd
with the old addresses. Also, when using cname, wouldn't the domain
name the users see still remain the old .com domains?

The best way I can think of is to setup a http 301 redirect. But if we
are aiming to create the best/hardest impact, I'd suggest that we
setup a landing page that warns users about the deprecation and then
redirects after 5 seconds. This should frustrate users enough to have
them start using the correct domain names.