[Gluster-infra] Google OpenID stops working this Sunday

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Fri Apr 17 15:17:46 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Using Google "OpenID 2.0" for authentication will stop working
from 20th April (this Monday).

This is a bit of a problem for us, as many of our developers
use it to authenticate with our Gerrit instance.

We have some potential ways forward:

 * Switch to using GitHub OAuth instead

   This is currently working in a test VM.  Seems ok so far.

 * Switch to using Google "OpenID Connect" instead

   Haven't yet gotten this working in our test VM, but am
   looking into it.

Gerrit doesn't seem to let us use multiple authentication
providers... it seems like we need to pick one OR the
other here. :(  (I could be wrong)

Personally, I think we should choose the GitHub OAuth method,
since we're all going to need GitHub accounts anyway for the
Gluster Forge v2.  So, keeps things simple from that
perspective. ;)

It will probably be a bit messy the *first time* we all log
in, as we'll need to merge our new GitHub account info with
our existing accounts.

After that though, we should be good.

Is anyone really against this idea?

Regards and best wishes,