[Gluster-infra] [Gluster-devel] Anyone willing to help out with GlusterFS infrastructure?

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Fri Oct 3 17:08:15 UTC 2014

On 03/10/2014, at 5:46 PM, Vipul Nayyar wrote:
>> On Friday, 3 October 2014 10:06 PM, Justin Clift <justin at gluster.org> wrote:
<snip>
>> Add yourself to the Gluster Infrastructure mailing list here:

>> Then ping me through that.  We'll start figuring things out from

> Done.

Cool. :)  From looking at your patches here plus some quick
Googling, you definitely have skills with C and shell programming,
which will probably be really useful. :)

As a background info kind of thing, have you done much SysAdmin
type stuff before with CentOS/RHEL/Fedora?  (even on your your
own desktop)

Just wanting to make sure you know the basics of starting and
stopping services, and that kind of thing.  Pretty sure you do
from your Gluster stuff already, but best to ask, in case we need
to guide you through it. :)

Anyway, there are some "kind of easy" automation tasks that would
be good to get finished.  One of them is the monthly update of our
MediaWiki instance.

I have the steps I've been using written down in a text file on my
desktop (it includes passwords, so it's not on the wiki yet).  But
I haven't had the time to turn it into a shell script for fully
automating it.

If this sounds like your kind of thing, I can send the steps to
you, and give you an account on the www.gluster.org server for
you get that done.  Let me know if that interests you. :)

In a different direction, we've been starting to investigate
using Salt (and Ansible) for managing our infrastructure.  Not
very far along that process though, so we need to get that
going more.

Are you familiar with Python at all, and/or do you have any
interest in learning Salt/Ansible/Python? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift