[Gluster-infra] Fwd: Re: [Gluster-devel] Jenkins success/failure with *BSD thought

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 12:41:04 UTC 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Jenkins success/failure with *BSD thought
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 08:39:50 -0400
From: Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeithle at redhat.com>
To: gluster-devel at gluster.org

On 07/28/2014 08:33 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> Interestingly, we'll probably need to do something a bit smarter
> with the regression testing "SUCCESS/FAILURE" status, for cases
> like this:
>
>    http://review.gluster.org/#/c/8380/
>
> For that CR, the FreeBSD smoke test failed, but the later running
> regression test passed and marked the whole thing as SUCCESS.
>
> I'm thinking the regression test pass failure logic (at the end
> of the testing scripting), should probably query the result of
> the smoke tests, and if they failed then not reset that.
>
> Anyone have better ideas/suggestions? :)

I've been meaning to ask (or suggest) this for some time....

To me a smoke test should be a simple compile and run the executable(s)
to make sure they don't crash with the most basic configuration.

I think the posix tests that are in smoke.sh today should really be part
of the regression test, e.g. .../basic/posix.t

For one thing it'd make the smoke.sh run faster.

--

Kaleb