[Gluster-infra] Site update this weekend

Eco Willson ewillson at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 01:08:36 PDT 2012

All,

Here is the proposed outage plan for the Gluster.org server upgrade.  I
plan on sometime after 6PM tomorrow as long as noone has any objections
to the following:

Upgrade plan for Gluster primary mirror (184.106.200.248)

Pre-work done:

1) Backups of configuration files and non-website specific items have
been made but not exported off the system yet:
mkdir -p /var/tmp/upgbax
cp -a /etc/ /root/ /var/lib/ /var/lib/dpkg /var/lib/apt/extended_states
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates /backup /database-backup \
/home/{ab,admin,andyb,avati,backup,bala,caitlin,cole,community.gluster.com,cooking2.gluster.com,cooking.gluster.com,eco,\
freeipmi,glasscanopy,greg,harsha,jjulian,johnm,krishna,mail.gluster.com,mezzanine,paratai,rtadmin,sampath,selvam,sshadmin,\
support.gluster.com,techniweb,webteam,www.zresearch.com} /var/tmp/upgbax

2) Verified the following per
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
- No "splashy" package exists
- apt-get -s update returns NULL
- grep -v \# /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free

3) Verified kernel > 2.6.26
# uname -r
2.6.35.4-rscloud

4) Verified low likelihood of issues described in
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html

Proposed outage plan:

Phase I - pre-work (15 minutes)
1) Communicate outage begins
2) DNS cutover to mirror server
Phase II - upgrade (unknown)
3) mount -o remount,rw /
4) apt-get upgrade
5) apt-get dist-upgrade
Phase III (15 minutes
6)upgrade-from-grub-legacy
7) Verify site is available via curl
8) Cut-back DNS
9) Communicate outage complete
10) Sit back with a smug grin on my face, resolute in the knowledge that
this endeavor, like all I undertake, had absolutely, positively NOTHING
whatsoever go wrong.