[Gluster-devel] mem-pool.c magic trailer causes SIGBUS, fix or remove?

Amar Tumballi amar at kadalu.io
Thu Jul 29 14:14:40 UTC 2021

Thanks for the initiative Paul. Let me answer the major question from the
thread.

> > Remove the trailer? Or fix it?

Ideal one is to fix it, as we do use mem-pool info to identify leaks etc
through statedumps of the process. Remove can be an option on SPARC to
start with if fixing is time consuming. I recommend removing the trailer
within a #ifdef codeblock, so it may continue work in places where its
already working.

-Amar

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 7:45 PM Paul Jakma <paul at jakma.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The magic trailer added at the end of memory allocations in mem-pool.c
> doesn't have its alignment ensured. This can lead to SIGBUS and
> abnormal exits on some platforms (e.g., SPARC64).
>
> I have a patch to round-up the header and allocation size to get the
> right alignment for the trailer (I think).
>
> It does complicate the memory allocation a little further.
>
> Question is whether it would just be simpler to remove the trailer, and
> simplify the code?
>
> There are a number of external tools that exist to debug memory allocs,
> from runtime loadable debug malloc libraries, to compiler features
> (ASAN, etc.), to valgrind.
>
> Glusterfs could just rely on those, and so simplify and (perhaps)
> speed-up its own, general-case memory code.
>
> Remove the trailer? Or fix it?
>
> regards,
> --
> Paul Jakma | paul at jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
> Fortune:
> Many people are secretly interested in life.
> -------
>
> Community Meeting Calendar:
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk

https://kadalu.io
Container Storage made easy!