[Gluster-devel] Centos8/RHEL8 Nightly Build for glusterfs needs to be created

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 06:52:00 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 04:21:50PM +0530, Rinku Kothiya wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> Yaniv wanted the glusterfs nightly builds generated to be tested for
> performance bottlenecks.
>
> I was working on the below project :
> https://github.com/gluster/gluster-performance-test-suite
>
> As of now we are running the above script on the glusterfs-nightly builds
> every night through a jenkins machine.
> Currently we have only been using Glusterfs-EL7 Nightly builds. But for
> testing the Gusfterfs-EL8 nightly build, I  need those nightly builds to be
> generated.
> I raised a request with Deepshikha and she said that you have been looking
> at it in the past.

Please have a look at the Jenkins Jobs Builder scripts from
https://github.com/gluster/centosci/ that are used to run these jobs.
For the nightly GlusterFS builds, there are two jobs involved:

1. jobs/build-rpms.yml contains the different versions and architectures
   that the gluster_build-rpms job can build. It needs to be extended to
   support the `release-8` branch

2. jobs/nightly-rpm-builds.yml does the triggering of the 1st job. It
   passes parameters to the job, which then will do the builds. Som in
   order to add a build for GlusterFS-8, inlucde an new `trigger-build`
   section.

3. jobs/scripts/nightly-builds/nightly-builds.sh is the script that does
   the actual work. You should be able to execute it manually on a
   CentOS system (set the environment like the parameters from 2) and
   see if it works for GlusterFS-8. Ideally the script does not need any
   changes.

You can send a PR with changes that you need, and once it is merged (by
Deepshika or one of the other active maintainers), it should
automatically get updated in the Jenkins environment, and the next day
there should be a new "Gluster 8 Nightly" repository.

Adding gluster-devel to CC, as this information should enable others to
add or improve CI jobs too.

Good luck!
Niels