[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Docs on gluster parameters

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 08:35:48 UTC 2020

On 14/11/20 3:23 am, Mahdi Adnan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Differently, the Gluster docs missing quite a bit regarding the
> available options that can be used in the volumes.
> Not only that, there are some options that might corrupt data and do
> not have proper documentation, for example, disable Sharding will lead
> to data corruption and I think it does not give any warning? "maybe
> I'm wrong regarding the warning tho" and I can not find any details
> about it in the official Gluster docs. The same goes for multiple
> clients accessing a volume with Sharding enabled.
> also, in some cases, write-behind and stat-prefetch can lead to data
> inconsistency if multiple clients accessing the same data.
> I think having solid "Official" Gluster docs with all of these details
> is essential to have stable Gluster deployments.
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 7:34 PM Eli V <eliventer at gmail.com
> <mailto:eliventer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think docs.gluster.org <http://docs.gluster.org> needs a section
>     on the available parameters,
>     especially considering how important some of them can be. For example
>     a google for performance.parallel-readdir, or
>     features.cache-invalidation only seems to turn up some hits in the
>     release notes on docs.gluster.org <http://docs.gluster.org>. I
>     woudn't expect a new user to have
>     to go read the release notes for all previous releases to understand
>     the importance of these parameters, or what paremeters even exist.

https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/  can be updated by sending pull
requests to https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs. It would be great if
you can send some patches regarding the changes you would like to see.
It doesn't have to be perfect. I can help in getting them reviewed and
merged.

Thanks,
Ravi