[Gluster-devel] Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Srijan Sivakumar ssivakum at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 10:59:13 UTC 2020

How about main and mirror. Mirror is sometimes used to define a replice in
servers, network nodes, etc.
Also, it might be easy for users to pick on the terms as mirror is pretty
self explanatory wherein secondary
might cause some confusion in the initial stages.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Ravishankar N <ravishankar at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist,
> whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive
> to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed
> trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs
> extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the
> CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:
>
> 1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
> code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
> terminology?
>
> 2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
> *not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ravi

> Community Meeting Calendar:
>
> Schedule -
> Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 14:30 IST / 09:00 UTC
> Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Thanks and Regards,

SRIJAN SIVAKUMAR

Associate Software Engineer