[Gluster-devel] Removing problematic language in geo-replication

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Jul 22 09:04:01 UTC 2020

Hi,

The gluster code base has some words and terminology (blacklist,
whitelist, master, slave etc.) that can be considered hurtful/offensive
to people in a global open source setting. Some of words can be fixed
trivially but the Geo-replication code seems to be something that needs
extensive rework. More so because we have these words being used in the
CLI itself. Two questions that I had were:

1. Can I replace master:slave with primary:secondary everywhere in the
code and the CLI? Are there any suggestions for more appropriate
terminology?

2. Is it okay to target the changes to a major release (release-9) and
*not* provide backward compatibility for the CLI?

Thanks,

Ravi