[Gluster-devel] What do extra_free and extrastd_free params do in the dictionary object?

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 08:44:31 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 1:38 PM Xavi Hernandez <jahernan at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I could not find a relevant use for them. Can anyone enlighten me?
>>

> I'm not sure why they are needed. They seem to be used to keep the
> unserialized version of a dict around until the dict is destroyed. I
> thought this could be because we were using pointers to the unserialized
> data inside dict, but that's not the case currently. However, checking very
> old versions (pre 3.2), I see that dict values were not allocated, but a
> pointer to the unserialized data was used.

Xavi,

While you are right about the intent, it is used still, at least when I
grepped latest repo to keep a reference in protocol layer.

This is done to reduce a copy after the dictionary's binary content is
received from RPC. The 'extra_free' flag is used when we use a
GF_*ALLOC()'d buffer in protocol to receive dictionary, and extra_stdfree
is used when RPC itself allocates the buffer and hence uses 'free()' to
free the buffer.

> I think this is not needed anymore. Probably we could remove these fields
> if that's the only reason.

If keeping them is hard to maintain, we can add few allocation to remove
those elements, that shouldn't matter much IMO too. We are not using
dictionary itself as protocol now (which we did in 1.x series though).

Regards,
Amar
---
https://kadalu.io