[Gluster-devel] Intent to retire Heketi package in Fedora

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 07:58:13 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Currently Heketi is (just a little) maintained in Fedora and packaged as an
RPM for stand-alone installation (not containerized).

As Heketi is a Golang application, and the Fedora Packaging Guidelines
have changed since the package was included, the current Heketi
packaging does not follow the current guidelines anymore. It would take
much work to return the package into good shape.

Also remember that Heketi is in "near-maintenance mode", and no major
new work is expected anymore:
 - https://github.com/heketi/heketi#important-notice

Because of this, I intent to retire Heketi from Fedora. This means that
the package will not be available in upcoming Fedora releases anymore.
Installation from the GitHub project repository will stay possible, of
course.

If there is someone that is interested in taking over the responsibility
for Heketi in Fedora, please let me know and I can work with you to
become the packager.

Thanks,
Niels