[Gluster-devel] Regards to taking lock in dictionary

Mohit Agrawal moagrawa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 03:17:57 UTC 2019

I have a query why do we take a lock at the time of doing an operation in a
dictionary.I have observed in testing it seems there is no codepath where
  we are using the dictionary parallel. In theory, the dictionary flow is
like one xlator put some data in a dictionary and pass to the next xlator
and xlator  and originator xlator won't touch dictionary until the called
xlator returns.

  To prove the same I have executed below test case
  1) I have changed all LOCK/UNLOCK macro with dictlock/dictunlock function
in the dictionary code and call the LOCK/UNLOCK macros
  2) Create a 1x3 volume and mount the volume
  3) Run stap script on one of the node to measure dict lock contention to
log the entry if more than one thread access the dictionary at the same time
  4) Run smallfile tool like below with multiple operations like
create/append/cleanup
     /root/sync.sh; python /root/smallfile/smallfile_cli.py --operation
<op_name> --threads 8 --file-size 64 --files 5000 --top /mnt/test
 --host-set "hp-m300-2.gsslab.pnq.redhat.com";

   I have not found any single thread that is trying to access the
dictionary while dictlock is already held by some other thread.

  I have uploaded a patch(https://review.gluster.org/#/c/glusterfs/+/23603/)
after converting the if condition to false in dictlock/unlock and run the
  regression test suite.I am not getting major failures after removing the
lock from a dictionary.

  Please share your view on the same if the dictionary is not consumed by
multiple threads at the same time still we do need to take lock
  in the dictionary.
  Please share if I need to test something more to validate the same.

Regards,
Mohit Agrawal