[Gluster-devel] Gluster Release 8.0: Call for proposals

Amar Tumballi amarts at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 16:19:04 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

For a change, you are seeing me posting release planning email, instead of
Shyam, (and recently Rinku/Hari). Just today, I summed up my thoughts on
Gluster’s release planning in my blog [1]. Continuation of that, I am
asking for providing your valuable feedback on what are the features each
of you like to see, and what are the work you or your team willing to
accomplish by release-8. It is OK to start proposing ideas which are more
long term, we can discuss on how to break it down too.

Unlike previous planning, we are not restricting the planning to only
GlusterFS. As a project, we would be usable only when there are enough
support systems around, from the angle of deployment, testing, monitoring,
debugging and others. So, planning for a single repository (or a project)
is not sufficient in the real world. We need other things to help here too.
It would be great if you pitch in with your thoughts on these.

Also note that, earlier, we briefly talked about GlusterX planning here
[3][4], and it is a real good idea to work together in that direction as a
community, so we can build up enough confidence to address some of the long
pending challenges, which may need non-compatible changes too. I believe,
if there are plans for proper migration, the gains are going to be
significant, and our users would cooperate with those changes.

As part of this process, I have created github Milestone (Release 8) and
Project lane in our github [2]. Start proposing your enhancements.

[1] - https://www.gluster.org/blog-planning-ahead-for-gluster-releases/

[2] - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/projects/1

[3] -
https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2019-September/056606.html

[4] -
http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/attachments/20190927/9f4f76b7/attachment-0001.pdf

PS: Currently the scheduled time for the release is *March 18th, 2020*. But
depending on the proposals, and discussions, we can adjust the schedule a
bit (but not by a huge margin). Please submit your ideas by *Dec 10th*, so
before the holidays start in most part of the world, we can have the plan
for Release-8 ready..

Regards,
Amar