[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Modifying gluster's logging mechanism

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 03:03:17 UTC 2019

The original proposal from Barak has merit for planning towards an
alpha form to be available. Has the project moved away from writing
specifications and reviewing those proposals? Earlier, we used to see
those rather than discuss in multi-threaded list emails. While
recorded gains in performance are notable, it would be prudent to
cleanly assess the switch-over cost should the project want to move
over to the new patterns of logging. This seems like a good time to
plan well for a change that has both utility and value.

That said, I'd like to point out some relevant aspects. Logging is
just one (although an important one) part of what is being talked
about as o11y (observability). A log (or, a structured log) is a
record of events. Debugging of distributed systems require
understanding of an unit of work which flowed through a system firing
off events which in turn were recorded. Logs thus are often portions
of events which are part of this unit of work (assume this is a
"transaction" if that helps grasp it better). Or, in other words, logs
are portions of the abstraction ie. events. The key aspect I'd like to
highlight is that (re)designing structured logging in isolation from
o11y principles will not work as we see more customers adopt o11y
patterns, tools within their SRE and other emerging sub-teams.
Focusing just on logs keeps us rooted to the visual display of
information via ELK/EFK models rather than consider the behavior
centric diagnosis of the whole system.