[Gluster-devel] [RFC] inode table locking contention reduction experiment

Changwei Ge chge at linux.alibaba.com
Thu Nov 7 03:30:14 UTC 2019

Hi Amar and Glusterfs developers,

I updated my code for inode referencing and searching improvement in my
personal Github repo:
https://github.com/changweige/glusterfs/commit/8313f9ccd0fac86abf20df32f5981588c29cd26a

Change from last version:
I cleared the patch.
Pass suggested regression tests.

Also I pushed it to Gerrit, if you prefer a splited patch series. I can
do that and re-push it to Gerrit.

Below is copied from its change log for your reference:

```
     inode: reduce inode ref/unref and searching contention

     Pain:
     At present, for inode management, we use itable to manage all inodes of
     a whole glusterfs volume. Inode reference operations - ref and unref -
     involve its itable lock. So we are very likely to meet lock conflict
     when there are a great deal of files and CPU load is high. Moreover,
     searching inode is a common operation used by various xlators.

     Goal:
     1. This patch aims at reducing inode_[un]ref() lock contention by
adding
     new fine-granularity dedicated ref_lock to protect referencing.
     2. Make inode search/find run congruently by converting mutex to
rwlock.

     PS: Ideally, *only* refcount of inode is the deterministic factor for
     releasing inode. In that way, we can totally get rid of itable lock
when
     ref/unref inode. But for now, as the special case we have to handle is
     when inode ref is 1 or 0. Only then we have to take itable lock to move
     inode between lists. We should not hit the special cases mentioned very
     often. That's why we could gain performance from this patch.

     Action:
     This patch tries best to keep the original inode_[un]ref()
semantics for
     now, since inode management part is crucial infrastructure code for
     Glusterfs. We improve inode management step by step. For now, clear
     relevant part is high priority.

     1. Move itable operations out from inode_[un]ref().
     2. Add a new mutex lock to inode to protect changing inode ref.
     3. Clear inode management logic and make its client code explicit.
     4. Reducing inode ref/unref arguments.
     5. decouple inode ref/unref from inode pruning/linking/unlinking logic.
```

Thanks,
Changwei