[Gluster-devel] Should we enable features.locks-notify.contention by default ?

Xavi Hernandez xhernandez at redhat.com
Thu May 30 06:03:18 UTC 2019

Hi all,

a patch [1] was added some time ago to send upcall notifications from the
locks xlator to the current owner of a granted lock when another client
tries to acquire the same lock (inodelk or entrylk). This makes it possible
to use eager-locking on the client side, which improves performance
significantly, while also keeping good performance when multiple clients
are accessing the same files (the current owner of the lock receives the
notification and releases it as soon as possible, allowing the other client
to acquire it and proceed very soon).

Currently both AFR and EC are ready to handle these contention
notifications and both use eager-locking. However the upcall contention
notification is disabled by default.

I think we should enabled it by default. Does anyone see any possible issue
if we do that ?

Regards,

Xavi

[1] https://review.gluster.org/c/glusterfs/+/14736