[Gluster-devel] Issue with posix locks

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Sun Mar 31 17:58:58 UTC 2019

On 3/29/19 11:55 PM, Xavi Hernandez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is one potential problem with posix locks when used in a
> replicated or dispersed volume.
>
> Some background:
>
> Posix locks allow any process to lock a region of a file multiple times,
> but a single unlock on a given region will release all previous locks.
> Locked regions can be different for each lock request and they can
> overlap. The resulting lock will cover the union of all locked regions.
> A single unlock (the region doesn't necessarily need to match any of the
> ranges used for locking) will create a "hole" in the currently locked
> region, independently of how many times a lock request covered that region.
>
> For this reason, the locks xlator simply combines the locked regions
> that are requested, but it doesn't track each individual lock range.
>
> Under normal circumstances this works fine. But there are some cases
> where this behavior is not sufficient. For example, suppose we have a
> replica 3 volume with quorum = 2. Given the special nature of posix
> locks, AFR sends the lock request sequentially to each one of the
> bricks, to avoid that conflicting lock requests from other clients could
> require to unlock an already locked region on the client that has not
> got enough successful locks (i.e. quorum). An unlock here not only would
> cancel the current lock request. It would also cancel any previously
> acquired lock.

I may not have fully understood, please correct me. AFAIU, lk xlator
merges locks only if both the lk-owner and the client opaque matches.

In the case which you have mentioned above, considering clientA acquired
locks on majority of quorum (say nodeA and nodeB) and clientB on nodeC
alone- clientB now has to unlock/cancel the lock it acquired on nodeC.

You are saying the it could pose a problem if there were already
successful locks taken by clientB for the same region which would get
unlocked by this particular unlock request..right?

Assuming the previous locks acquired by clientB are shared (otherwise
clientA wouldn't have got granted lock for the same region on nodeA &
nodeB), they would still hold true on nodeA & nodeB  as the unlock
request was sent to only nodeC. Since the majority of quorum nodes still
hold the locks by clientB, this isn't serious issue IMO.

I haven't looked into heal part but would like to understand if this is
really an issue in normal scenarios as well.

Thanks,
Soumya