[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Network Block device (NBD) on top of glusterfs

Xiubo Li xiubli at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 10:32:25 UTC 2019

On 2019/3/25 14:36, Vijay Bellur wrote:

> Hi Xiubo,
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 5:48 PM Xiubo Li <xiubli at redhat.com
> <mailto:xiubli at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2019/3/21 11:29, Xiubo Li wrote:
>>
>>     All,
>>
>>     I am one of the contributor forgluster-block
>>     <https://github.com/gluster/gluster-block>[1] project, and also I
>>     contribute to linux kernel andopen-iscsi
>>     <https://github.com/open-iscsi> project.[2]
>>
>>     NBD was around for some time, but in recent time, linux kernel’s
>>     Network Block Device (NBD) is enhanced and made to work with more
>>     devices and also the option to integrate with netlink is added.
>>     So, I tried to provide a glusterfs client based NBD driver
>>     recently. Please refergithub issue #633
>>     <https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/633>[3], and good
>>     news is I have a working code, with most basic things @nbd-runner
>>     project <https://github.com/gluster/nbd-runner>[4].
>>

> This is nice. Thank you for your work!
>
>     As mentioned the nbd-runner(NBD proto) will work in the same layer
>     with tcmu-runner(iSCSI proto), this is not trying to replace the
>     gluster-block/ceph-iscsi-gateway great projects.
>
>     It just provides the common library to do the low level stuff,
>     like the sysfs/netlink operations and the IOs from the nbd kernel
>     socket, and the great tcmu-runner project is doing the sysfs/uio
>     operations and IOs from the kernel SCSI/iSCSI.
>
>     The nbd-cli tool will work like the iscsi-initiator-utils, and the
>     nbd-runner daemon will work like the tcmu-runner daemon, that's all.
>

> Do you have thoughts on how nbd-runner currently differs or would
> differ from tcmu-runner? It might be useful to document the
> differences in github (or elsewhere) so that users can make an
> informed choice between nbd-runner & tcmu-runner.

Yeah, this makes sense and I will figure it out in the github. Currently
for the open-iscsi/tcmu-runner, there are already many existing tools to
help product it, and for NBD we may need to implement them, correct me
if I am wrong here :-)

>     In tcmu-runner for different backend storages, they have separate
>     handlers, glfs.c handler for Gluster, rbd.c handler for Ceph, etc.
>     And what the handlers here are doing the actual IOs with the
>     backend storage services once the IO paths setup are done by
>     ceph-iscsi-gateway/gluster-block....
>
>     Then we can support all the kind of backend storages, like the
>     Gluster/Ceph/Azure... as one separate handler in nbd-runner, which
>     no need to care about the NBD low level's stuff updates and changes.
>

> Given that the charter for this project is to support multiple backend
> storage projects, would not it be better to host the project in the
> github repository associated with nbd [5]? Doing it that way could
> provide a more neutral (as perceived by users) venue for hosting
> nbd-runner and help you in getting more adoption for your work.

This is a good idea, I will try to push this forward.

Thanks very much Vijay.

BRs

Xiubo Li