[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] GF_CALLOC to GF_MALLOC conversion - is it safe?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 15:53:22 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> bugs later on. OTOH, going forward I'd request every patch
>>> owners/maintainers to pay some special attention to these conversions and
>>> see they are really beneficial and error free. IMO, general guideline
>>> should be - for bigger buffers, malloc would make better sense but has to
>>> be done carefully, for smaller size, we stick to calloc.
>>>

>>> What do others think about it?
>>>

>> I believe that replacing calloc with malloc everywhere without adequate
>> testing and review is not safe and am against doing so for the following
>> reasons:
>>

> No patch should get in without adequate testing and thorough review.
>

>>    1. Most of these patches have not been tested, especially the error
>>    paths.I have seen some that introduced issues in error scenarios with
>>    pointers being non-null.
>>

> You raise an interesting issue. Why are free'd memory pointers are not
> NULL'ified? Why does FREE() set ptr = (void *)0xeeeeeeee and not NULL?
> This is a potential cause for failure. A re-occuring FREE(NULL) is
> harmless. A FREE(0xeeeeeeee) is a bit more problematic.
>

>>    1.
>>    2. As Raghavendra said, the code assumes that certain elements will
>>    be initialized to null/zero and changing that can have consequences which
>>    are not immediately obvious. I think it might be worthwhile to go through
>>    the already merged calloc->malloc patches to check error paths and so on to
>>    see if they are safe.
>>

> Agreed.
>

>>    1.
>>    2. Making such changes to the libglusterfs code while we are
>>    currently working to stabilize the product is not a good idea. The patches
>>    take time to review and any errors introduced in the core pieces affect all
>>    processes and require significant effort to debug.
>>

> Let me know when we consider the project stable. I'd argue the way to
> stabilize it is not stop improving it, but improving its testing. From more
> tests to cover more code via more tests to more static analysis coverage,
> to ensuring CI is rock-solid (inc. random errors that pop up from time to
> time). Not accepting patches to master is not the right approach, unless
> it's time-boxed somehow. If it is, then it means we don't trust our CI
> enough, btw.
>

>>    1.
>>
>> Yaniv, while the example you provided might make sense to change to
>> malloc, a lot of the other changes, in my opinion, do not for the effort
>> required. For performance testing, smallfile might be a useful tool to see
>> if any of the changes make a difference. That said, I am reluctant to take
>> in patches that change core code significantly without being tested or
>> providing proof of benefits.
>>

> Smallfile is part of CI? I am happy to see it documented @
> https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Performance%20Testing/#smallfile-distributed-io-benchmark
> , so at least one can know how to execute it manually.

Following up the above link to the smallfile repo leads to 404 (I'm
assuming we don't have a link checker running on our documentation, so it
can break from time to time?)
I assume it's https://github.com/distributed-system-analysis/smallfile ?
Y.

>>> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/xlators/mgmt/glusterd/src/glusterd-op-sm.c#L5681