[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Amar Tumballi Suryanarayan atumball at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 09:26:51 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 2:35 PM Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 02:11:21PM +0530, Amar Tumballi Suryanarayan wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 1:13 PM Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

> patch we
> release-6

> > > notices, it
> packaged
> > > in

> branches?
> > >
> > > When going this route, you still need to make sure that the
> > > python3-devel package is available on the CentOS-7 builders. And I
> > > don't know if installing that package is already sufficient, maybe the
> > > backport is not even needed in that case.
> > >

> > I was thinking, having this patch makes it compatible with both python2
> and
> > python3, so technically, it allows us to move to Fedora30 if we need to
> run
> > regression there. (and CentOS7 with only python2).
> >
> > The above patch made it compatible, not mandatory to have python3. So,
> > treating it as a bug fix.
>
> Well, whatever Python is detected (python3 has preference over python2),
> needs to have the -devel package available too. Detection is done by
> probing the python<X> executable. The Matching header files from -devel
> need to be present in order to be able to build glupy (and others?).
>
> I do not think compatibility for python3/2 is the problem while
> building the tarball.

Got it! True. Compatibility is not the problem to build the tarball.

I noticed the issue of smoke is coming only from strfmt-errors job, which
checks for 'epel-6-i386' mock, and fails right now.

The backport might become relevant while running
> tests on environments where there is no python2.

Backport is very important if we are running in a system where we have only
python3. Hence my proposal to include it in releases.

But we are stuck with strfmt-errors job right now, and looking at what it
was intended to catch in first place, mostly our
https://build.gluster.org/job/32-bit-build-smoke/ would be doing same. If
that is the case, we can remove the job altogether.  Also note, this job is
known to fail many smokes with 'Build root is locked by another process'
errors.

Would be great if disabling strfmt-errors is an option.

Regards,

--
Amar Tumballi (amarts)