[Gluster-devel] Removing glupy from release 5.7

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 09:08:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 04:09:55PM -0700, Kaleb Keithley wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:36 AM Kaleb Keithley <kkeithle at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Amar Tumballi Suryanarayan <
> > atumball at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> >> We recently noticed that in one of the package update on builder (ie,
> >> centos7.x machines), python3.6 got installed as a dependency. So, yes, it
> >> is possible to have python3 in centos7 now.
> >>

> > EPEL updated from python34 to python36 recently, but C7 doesn't have
> > python3 in the base. I don't think we've ever used EPEL packages for
> > building.
> >
> > And GlusterFS-5 isn't python3 ready.
> >

> Correction: GlusterFS-5 is mostly or completely python3 ready.  FWIW,
> python33 is available on both RHEL7 and CentOS7 from the Software
> Collection Library (SCL), and python34 and now python36 are available from
> EPEL.
>
> But packages built for the CentOS Storage SIG have never used the SCL or
> EPEL (EPEL not allowed) and the shebangs in the .py files are converted
> from /usr/bin/python3 to /usr/bin/python2 during the rpmbuild %prep stage.
> All the python dependencies for the packages remain the python2 flavors.
> AFAIK the centos-regression machines ought to be building the same way.

Indeed, there should not be a requirement on having EPEL enabled on the
CentOS-7 builders. At least not for the building of the glusterfs
tarball. We still need to do releases of glusterfs-4.1 and glusterfs-5,
until then it is expected to have python2 as the (only?) version for the
system. Is it possible to remove python3 from the CentOS-7 builders and
run the jobs that require python3 on the Fedora builders instead?

I guess we could force the release-4.1 and release-5 branches to use
python2 only. This might be done by exporting PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2 in
the environment where './configure' is run. That would likely require
changes to multiple Jenkins jobs...

Niels